Robert Watley solidified his hold on the Legacy Fighting Alliance lightweight title as he defeated Brandon Jenkins for his second title defense. LFA 34 took place March second at the Mystic Lake Casino Hotel in Prior Lake, MN with a main card broadcast on AXS TV.
It can’t be said that Brandon Jenkins losing his contact lenses was the reason why he lost the main event to defending lightweight champion Robert Watley but it definitely limited Jenkins’ ability to perform. Jenkins lost his contacts early in the fight reducing his fighting ability to basically just wrestling while Watley suffered no such hindrance. Jenkins took the first round of their five-round bout but Watley used his positioning and striking to take the rest of the fight winning a unanimous decision with scorecards reading 49-45 twice and one score of 48-46. Watley improved his record to 10-1 with ten wins in a row and now two title defenses, Jenkins fell to 11-6.
The most dramatic fight on the broadcast was Jordan Griffin with a comeback submission over Darrick Minner. Minner was dominating the first round and the beginning of the second moving from submission attempt to attempt while Griffin was largely trying to stay in the fight. In the second round during a leglock exchange Griffin nailed an armbar while keeping his left foot under Minner’s jaw to prevent escape resulting in the tapout. Griffin now stands 15-5 with his only loss in eight fights being to now-Bellator fighter Juan Archuleta, Minner dropped to 20-8 with a LFA record of 0-3.
Up next is the promotional debut of Neck Newell as he takes on Sonny Luque in Houston on the 9th.
LFA 34 results
- Alton Cunningham def. Wayman Carter 0:40 R3 by TKO
- Calyn Hull def. Patrick Martin by unanimous decision
- Tim Hiley def. Willie Whitehead 2:31 R2 by submission to strikes
- Bobby Lee def. Nick Ammerman by unanimous decision
- Kelly Kobold def. Katy Collins by unanimous decision
- Nate Jennerman def. John DeVall 3:09 R3 by triangle choke
- Jordan Griffin def. Darrick Minner 2:59 R2 by armbar
- Trey Ogden def. Travis Perzynski 0:20 R3 by guillotine choke
- LW title: Robert Watley def. Brandon Jenkins by unanimous decision