A highly questionable ref stoppage allowed former One Championship flyweight champion Kairat Akhmetov to cruise to a controversial split decision victory over Geje Eustaquio. One Championship “Total Victory” took place September 16th at the Jakarta Cenvention Center in Jakarta, Indonesia with an iPPV through the promotion’s website.
Geje Eustaquio took Kairat Akhmetov down which was surprising considering the Kazakh’s wrestling and Eustaquio’s superior standup. By the 3:30 mark of round 1 Akhmetov returned to his feet while Eustaquio elected to stay on his back where he threw upkicks. The problem was when one such upkick landed flush on Akhmetov’s face it appeared the former champion was knocked out but the referee halted the action as if to issue a foul for a legal blow. Akhmetov despite falling to his knees was allowed to continue and the rest of the fight was Akhmetov using ground-and-pound which largely was defended by Eustaquio. At the end of five rounds the judges surprisingly awarded the split decision to Akhmetov despite the knockdown in round 1 resulting in his record improving to 21-1, his only loss being to Adriano Moraes for the belt in August. Eustaquio despite being robbed of a first-round TKO or KO fell to 9-6.
In the co-main event local hero Stefer Rahardian remained undefeated with a rear-naked choke of Sim Bunsrun. Rahardian had little opposition to taking Bunsrun down, taking his back, and securing the fight-ending rear-naked choke just over one minute into the fight. Rahardian now stands 6-0, Bunsrun fell to 3-4 with his three-fight comeback halted.
Asia’s biggest promotion still has five events scheduled for the remainder of the year with the next one being on November 3rd. No information is available on the fight card at this time.
One Championship results
- Thai Rithy def. Jerome S. Paye 0:19 R1 by KO
- Riski Umar def. Adi Nugroho 2:00 R1 by KO
- Adrian Matheis def. Phat Soda 3:11 R1 by rear-naked choke
- Ramon Gonzales def. Deligerihu Liu 1:52 R2 by arm-triangle choke
- Hisyam Samsudin def. Jeremy Meciaz 2:37 R1 by TKO
- Roy Doliguez def. Yago Bryan Farias de Morais 2:58 R3 by KO
- Alain Ngalani def. Hideki Sekine 0:11 R1 by KO
- Stefer Rahardian def. Sim Bunsrun 1:07 R1 by rear-naked choke
- Kairat Akhmetov def. Geje Eustaquio by split decision