Cage Warriors Fighting Championship have a women’s flyweight champion now that Molly McCann defeated Bryony Tyrell. CWFC 90 took place February 24th at the Echo Arena in Liverpool, England with a webcast at UFC Fight Pass.
Molly McCann didn’t have much trouble finishing Bryony Tyrell in the main event. Tyrell wisely tried to utilize a takedown-based strategy but never got the fan favorite to the ground. McCann continually moved forward and tried to set up her powerful right hand as she scored with jabs and hooks winning the first round with ease. It was a left to the head from McCann that spelled the beginning of the end as Tyrell moved back to the cage with McCann in pursuit firing off lefts and rights non-stop. Tyrell managed to retreat away from the cage but was basically retreating and not defending herself leaving the referee to wave off the fight. McCann’s victory left her record 7-1 with four wins in a row, Tyrell fell to 4-2.
The co-main event was even more one-sided as Alexander Jacobsen needed just fourteen seconds to TKO Lawrence Fitzpatrick. After a very brief feeling out process Jacobsen landed a right hand that knocked Fitzpatrick down against the cage. Jacobsen descended for follow-up shots while Fitzpatrick covered up leading to the TKO.
Opening the main card was former featherweight champion and CWFC’s biggest star Paddy Pimblett vs. Alexis Savvidis. Now fighting at lightweight Pimblett quickly took Savvidis down only to find himself in a very competitive grappling war with both fighters trading submission attempts. Round 2 started out with Savvidis landing two right hands that forced Pimblett to the cage. Pimblett jumped for a flying triangle that Savvidis couldn’t escape on the ground forcing the tapout at 0:35. One of the most exciting fights on the main card ended with Pimblett improving to 14-2, Savvidis dropping to 16-7.
Cage Warriors are only off for one week until CWFC 91 hits Wales. Topping that card will be Josh Reed taking on Brian Bouland.
CWFC 90 results
- Jamie Small def. Sam Gittins by split decision
- Reuben Beresford def. Julian Wentworth 2:09 R1 by TKO
- Marcus Lewis def. David Jenkins 0:27 R1 by TKO
- Adam Cullen def. Danny Dixon 2:21 R1 by TKO
- Jabeed Rahman def. Damon Donald by unanimous decision
- Nathan Fletcher def. Jordan Baxter 2:46 R3 by TKO
- Callum Mullen def. Mark Smith 2:59 R1 by rear-naked choke
- Kieran Connor def. Jay Seddon by unanimous decision
- George Smith def. Igor Puskarskis by unanimous decision
- Andreas Tricomitis def. Mark Kinsella by split decision
- Bobby Pallett def. Dillon Manning 2:23 R2 by arm-triangle choke
- Matthew Bonner def. Mick Stanton 5:00 R2 by rear-naked choke
- Elliot Jenkins def. Josh Abraham 4:23 R1 by arm-triangle choke
- Paddy Pimblett def. Alexis Savvidis 0:35 R2 by triangle choke/armbar
- Ruben Wolf def. Shawn Kenny 3:04 R2 by mounted Americana
- Alexander Jacobsen def. Lawrence Fitzpatrick 0:14 R1 by TKO
- W strawweight title: Molly McCann def. Bryony Tyrell 1:32 R2 by TKO