The real news out of Legacy Fighting Championship 37 was UFC vet Leonard Garcia ended his career, announcing his retirement after losing to Daniel Pineda in the main event. LFC 37 took place November 14th at the Arena Theatre in Houston TX with a main card broadcast on AXS TV.
Pineda wisely took Garcia down early against the cage where the Houston native used his wrestling to control positions. After having little success with strikes Pineda found the kimura, forcing Garcia to tap at just under two minutes. Pineda’s record improves to 19-11 with this being his first post-UFC fight with his two-fight losing skid halted.
Garcia leaves behind an 18-13-1 MMA career that spanned over 15 years. In the UFC Garcia had little success going 2-7 but he is remembered for four of those being “Fight of the Night”. Garcia also earned “Fight of the Night” and “Fight of the Year 2010” in WEC for his win over Jung Chan-Sung at WEC 48, a war Garcia won by split decision. After five losses in a row in the UFC Garcia was finally let go in April 2013. After picking up three straight wins in WEC it looked like Garcia had turned his career around however back-to-back losses to Damon Jackson and now Pineda made Garcia decide to hang up the MMA gloves. Garcia may still compete in kickboxing for Legacy but no confirmation or comment is yet available.
LFC 37 results
- Stephanie Alba def. Maria Lopez 2:47 R1 by rear-naked choke
- Michael Hidrogo def. Jacob Silva 2:24 R1 by knee bar
- Sage Northcutt def. Tim Lashley 0:27 R1 by TKO
- David Acosta def. Mike Trinh 0:18 R1 by ankle lock
- Levi Mowles def. Adrian Yanez by unanimous decision
- Jonathan Harris def. Antonio Flores by unanimous decision
- Geoffrey Neal def. Charles Ontiveros by TKO (didn’t answer bell)
- Augusto Mendes def. Richard Delfin 0:49 R1 by rear-naked choke
- Larry Crowe def. Quentin Reiswerg 4:51 R2 by TKO
- Mikel Bronzoulis def. Justin Reiswerg 4:51 R2 by rear-naked choke
- Daniel Pineda def. Leonard Garcia 1:54 R1 by kimura