From Bellator MMA:
GLORY KICKBOXING BOUT PITTING KERI ANNE TAYLOR-MELENDEZ VS. HADLEY GRIFFITH ADDED TO MAIN CARD OF ‘BELLATOR MMA: DYNAMITE 1’
SANTA MONICA, Calif. (September 1, 2015) – A 120-pound Glory kickboxing bout pitting Ker Anne Taylor-Melendez (2-1) against Hadley “Relentless” Griffith (pro debut) completes the Spike-televised card of “Bellator MMA: Dynamite 1” on September 19 at SAP Center in San Jose, Calif.
For the first time ever, “Bellator MMA: Dynamite 1” will feature both a Bellator MMA cage and a Glory kickboxing ring on one arena floor at the same time. In the evening’s main event, Tito Ortiz (18-11) will challenge the undefeated Bellator Light Heavyweight World Champion, Liam McGeary (10-0) for the title.
Additionally, the previously announced fight card features a Glory kickboxing title fight featuring Zack Mwekassa (13-2, 12 KO) and Saulo Cavalari (31-2, 19 KO) for the vacant Light Heavyweight Championship, as well as Bellator MMA competitors Paul “Semtex” Daley (37-13-2) and Fernando “The Menifee Maniac” Gonzalez (24-13) also competing in Glory action, when they trade-in the MMA gloves for kickboxing gloves.
On the mixed martial arts side, Bellator MMA will also conduct a four-man, one-night light heavyweight tournament to determine the No. 1 contender in the division that features Phil Davis (13-3) taking on Emanuel Newton (25-8-1) and Linton Vassell (15-4-1) facing Muhammed “King Mo” Lawal (15-4, 1 NC). Newly signed lightweight standout Josh “The Punk” Thomson (20-8, 1 NC) is also in action, when he makes his Bellator MMA debut against Mike “The Greek Assassin” Bronzoulis (18-8-1).
“Bellator MMA: Dynamite 1” airs live and free on Spike at 9/8c. Tickets for the historic event start at just $30 and are on sale now at the SAP Center box office and are also available for purchase at Ticketmaster.com and Bellator.com.
At only 31 years of age, Taylor-Melendez has previously competed in both kickboxing and muay Thai, but fully intends on transitioning to the sport of mixed martial arts in the near future. The spouse of former WEC and Strikeforce Champion Gilbert Melendez and co-owner of El Nino Training Center in San Francisco, Taylor-Melendez first took up combat sports close to 10 years ago, making a name for herself fighting in the Bay Area. After racking up a 4-1 amateur record, she took her talents to the professional circuit, where she currently holds a 2-1 kickboxing record.
A five-fight mixed martial arts veteran, Griffith will return to action for the first time in 2015, except this time it will be inside a Glory kickboxing ring. “Relentless” eagerly awaits her return to combat sports after being out of action for more than a year due to an injury that caused the amputation of the top of her middle finger. A native of Washington, and training in Colorado, Hadley will likely have plenty of fan support on September 19 in San Jose, Calif.
“Bellator MMA: Dynamite 1” – Saturday, September 19 – SAP Center, San Jose, Calif.
- Bellator Light Heavyweight Title Fight: Tito Ortiz (18-11) vs. © Liam McGeary (10-0)
- Bellator Light Heavyweight Tournament Final: TBD vs. TBD
- Glory Vacant Light Heavyweight Title Fight: Saulo Cavalari (31-2) vs. Zack Mwekassa (13-2)
- Bellator Lightweight Feature Fight: Josh Thomson (20-8) vs. Mike Bronzoulis (18-8-1)
- Glory Welterweight Feature Fight: Paul Daley (37-13-2 MMA/20-3 Kickboxing) vs. Fernando Gonzalez (24-13/1-2 Kickboxing)
- Glory Bantamweight Feature Fight: Kerri Anne Taylor-Melendez (2-1) vs. Hadley Griffith (Debut)
- Bellator Light Heavyweight Tournament Fight: Phil Davis (13-3) vs. Emanuel Newton (25-8-1)
- Bellator Light Heavyweight Tournament Fight: Linton Vassell (15-4-1) vs. Muhammed Lawal (15-4, 1 NC)
- Bellator Light Heavyweight Tournament Alternate Bout: Francis Carmont (23-10) vs. Philipe Lins (9-1)
*Fight card subject to change