The saga of Jonathan Brookins continues this weekend as the TUF 12 winner faces Shintaro Ishiwatari in the main event of Pancrase. Pancrase 262 takes place November 2nd at the Differ Ariake in Tokyo, unfortunately there is no live international distribution.
After going 1-2 in the UFC Brookins announced his retirement, taking a year-and-a-half to travel India for spiritual reasons. Upon his return in March Brookins defeated Cody Fuller by rear-naked choke in LFC 29 then lost a lackluster unanimous decision to Austin Lyons in LFC 34 in August to stand officially 14-7. 18-5 Ishiwatari has only lost once in the past four years when he suffered a TKO at the hands of Kyoji Horiguchi in June 2013. Since then Ishiwatari has gone 3-0 with a majority decision over Alan Yoshihiro Yamaniwa followed by a unanimous decision over Yo Saito and most recently a TKO of Trevor Ward. Brookins’ style has evolved from an in-your-face assault to more of an “only try to win by submission” that is honorable and intriguing but questionable at this level as Ishiwatari will have no problem hitting Brookins if given the chance.
In the co-main event TUF 12 cast member Andy Main takes on WEC veteran Akitoshi Tamura. Main took almost two years off including all of 2012 then returned to go 3-1-1 with his most recent being a split decision loss to Kenny Foster in CFFC 36. Tamura his a rough slide of three losses from 2012 until early 2013 but won his last two bouts, a majority decision over Brian Choi and a unanimous decision over Motoshi Miyaji.
Pancrase 262 card
- Yuya Kodama vs. Kazuki Shibuya
- Shunsuke Kurai vs. Hiroyuki Suzuki
- Toshio Ito vs. Ryo Yamaguchi
- Chris Hilger vs. Kazuma Maruyama
- Kota Okazawa vs. Hiroshi Hayashi
- Masakazu Utsugi vs. Takafumi Ato
- Motoshi Miyaji vs. Jun Doi
- Yoshihiro Matsunaga vs. Teppei Masuda
- Hiroki Nagaoka vs. Tetsuya Sano
- Keigo Hirayama vs. Yuki Tamazaki
- Hideto Tatsumi vs. Bob Armstrong
- Satoshi Inaba vs. Kosuke Umeda
- Yuki Yasunaga vs. Naoyuki Kato
- Yoichiro Sato vs. Shigeaki Kusayanagi
- Hiroyuki Oshiro vs. Koji Nakamura
- Haruki Nakayama vs. Senzo Ikeda
- Manabu Hirayama vs. Sho Kogane
- Akitoshi Tamura vs. Andy Main
- Shintaro Ishiwatari vs. Jonathan Brookins