Invicta FC bantamweight champion Tonya Evinger defended the belt against Yana Kunitskaya in a rematch of their November fight. Invicta FC 22 took place March 25th at the Scottish Rite Temple in Kansas City, MO with a webcast at UFC Fight Pass.
Round 1 of the main event saw challenger Yana Kunitskaya attempt a continuous series of submission attempts on Tonya Evinger while the champion stayed calm and stuck to her gameplan of ground-and-pound. In the second round Evinger took top position then maneuvered to Kunitskaya’s back for the rear-naked choke win. Evinger’s second defense of the title erases the controversy surrounding her last fight which originally an armbar loss due to referee interference but overturned to a “no contest”. Evinger now stands 19-5, 7- in Invicta if one doesn’t count the “no contest”, Kunitskaya holds a record of 9-3.
In the co-main event former strawweight champion Livia Souza made short work of atomweight champion Akaya Hamasaki in Hamasaki’s return to strawweight. Early in the fight a straight right from Souza floored Hamasaki with the follow-up strikes on the ground causing the TKO at 1:41 of the first round. Souza seems a shoe-in for a shot at the vacant strawweight title as her only loss in her 10-1 career was when she lost the belt to Angela Hill who vacated to move on to the UFC. Hamasaki exited the cage 14-2 with her atomweight title intact but her five-fight win streak broken.
Invicta FC 22 results
- Felicia Spencer def. Madison McElhaney by unanimous decision
- Miranda Maverick def. Kal Holliday 3:1 R1 by armbar
- Sunna Daviosdottir def. Mallory Martin by unanimous decision
- Ashley Cummins def. Amber Brown by unanimous decision
- Jodie Esquibel def. DeAnna Bennett by split decision
- Livia Renata Souza def. Akaya Hamasaki 1:41 R1 by TKO
- BW title: Tonya Evinger def. Yana Kunitskaya 4:32 R2 by rear-naked choke