Now that Conor McGregor vacated the featherweight title the belt race is back on with Jose Aldo being named the champion, an interim title on the line at UFC 206 between Max Holloway and Anthony Pettis. UFC 206 takes place December 10th at the Air Canada Centre in Toronto, Canada with three prelims webcast at UFC Fight Pass, four prelims broadcast on Fox Sports 1, and the main card available as a PPV.
Max Holloway holds the #2 ranking with a record of 16-3, 12-3 in the UFC. Holloway took two losses in a row in 2013 including one to Conor McGregor then went on a nine-fight win streak that included four performance bonuses. In the past twelve months Holloway defeated #6 ranked Jeremy Stephens and #3 ranked Ricardo Lamas with both being by unanimous decision. Anthony Pettis is 19-5 but is mainly known for his run at lightweight where he was champion from August 2013 until his second defense in March 2015. After taking three losses in a row to Rafael dos Anjos, Eddie Alvarez, and Edson Barboza Pettis dropped to featherweight where he defeated #7 ranked Charles Oliveira in August.
In the co-main event #5 ranked welterweight Donald Cerrone faces #14 Matt Brown. Cerrone holds a record of 31-7 overall, 3-0 at welterweight. Cerrone was on an eight-fight win streak when he lost to Rafael dos Anjos for the lightweight title last December. Since that TKO loss Cerrone debut at welterweight with a triangle choke of Alex Oliveira followed by TKOs of Patrick Cote and Rick Story with all three in this class earning “Performance of the Night” bonuses. 20-15 Brown was on a seven-fight win streak when he lost to Robbie Lawler in a title eliminator in July 2014. Since then Brown has gone 1-3 with a unanimous decision loss to Johny Hendricks, guillotine choke defeat of Tim Means, rear-naked choke loss to Demian Maia, and TKO loss to Jake Ellenberger.
Prelims at UFC Fight Pass
- Flyweight: Zach Makovsky vs. Dustin Ortiz
- LW: Jason Saggo vs. Rustam Khabilov
- LW: John Makdessi vs. Lando Vannata
Prelims on Fox Sports 1
- BW: Mitch Gagnon vs. Matthew Lopez
- W Strawweight: Valerie Letourneau vs. Viviane Pereira
- LW: Oliver Aubin-Mercier vs. Drew Dober
- LHW: Nikita Krylov vs. Misha Cirkunov
- WW: Jordan Mein vs. Emil Weber Meek
- MW: Tim Kennedy vs. Kelvin Gastelum
- FW: Cub Swanson vs. Doo Ho Choi
- WW: Donald Cerrone vs. Matt Brown
- Interim FW title: Max Holloway vs. Anthony Pettis