Former Bellator middleweight champion Brandon Halsey emerged from his three-fight losing streak with a unanimous decision over Mikhail Ragozin while Aleksander Doskalchuk captured the inaugural M-1 Global flyweight title. M-1 Challenge 83 took place September 23rd in Kazan, Tatarstan, Russia with a webcast through the promotion’s website.
Halsey who was making is light heavyweight debut used his wrestling to immediately take Ragozin down in the first round and continued the strategy throughout the fight. The ring-with-webbing M-1 Challenge uses presented some problems for Halsey to keep Ragozin stationary but his relentless takedowns and marginal scoring on the ground kept the points rolling in. In round 1 Halsey was warned for an elbow to the side of Ragozin’s head but took the round when he briefly had full mount. Round 2 saw Halsey briefly take Ragozin’s back while Ragozin’s escape allowed him to strike from his feet. Halsey again took Ragozin down in the third where he used strikes to take the round and the judges’ decision as his record climbed to 10-3 while Ragozin dropped to 8-3.
The M-1 Global inaugural flyweight title went to Aleksander Doskalchuk in the co-main event once e defeated Vadim Malygin. In round 1 Doskalchuk and Malygin were pretty evenly matched on the feet and on the ground. Round 2 started off with Doskalchuk landing a takedown but Malygin returned to his feet. Malygin shot in for a takedown of his own only to fall into a guillotine choke to which he refused to tap before he was rendered unconscious. The win landed Doskalchuk the inaugural flyweight title as his record climbed to 8-1 with six wins in a row, his last loss being to Kevin Petshi in April 2014. Malygin left the arena 11-3 with his three-win streak at an end.
M1 Challenge 83 results
- Nidzhat Imanov def. Rinat Shakirov 2:06 R2 by TKO
- Vadim Sinitsyn def. Timur Gilimzyanov by unanimous decision
- Alexander Osetrov def. Lenar Suleimanov by unanimous decision
- Vadim Shabadash def. Kirill Kuzmin by unanimous decision
- Diego Davella vs. Busurmankul Abdibait declared a draw
- Alik Albogachiev def. Ruslan Khisamutdinov by majority decision
- Viktor Albogachiev def. Ruslan Khisamutdinov by majority decision
- Viktor Kolesnik def. Brian Hooi 3:36 R1 by TKO
- Sergey Morozov def. Luan Fernandes 4:48 R2 by TKO
- Nate Landwehr def. Mikhail Korobkov 1:31 R2 by KO
- Raul Tutarauli def. Vladimir Kanunnikov by unanimous decision
- Flyweight title: Aleksander Doskalchuk def. Vadim Malygin 3:34 R2 by technical submission
- Brandon Halsey def. Mikhail Ragozin by unanimous decision