In a close split decision Kurt Holobaugh literally wrestled the Titan Fighting Championship featherweight belt away from Desmond Green in the main event of TFC 33. Three other titles were also on the line with Brett Johns at bantamweight, Pat Healy at lightweight, and Chase Gormley at heavyweight emerging with new belts. TFC 33 took place April 20th as part of the Aeroplex festival in Mobile, AL with a main card broadcast on the CBS Sports Network.
In his first defense of the featherweight title won in December Bellator MMA vet Desmond Green relied on wrestling to try to take the fight to the ground. Unfortunately for Green Kurt Holobaugh was prepared as he defended most of the takedowns and avoided serious trouble while initiating most of the offense. Both fighters scored with punches but by the end Holobaugh did most of the scoring while maintaining control of the fight, earning a split decision with scores of 49-46, 48-47, and 47-48. Holobaugh takes home the belt while improving to 14-2 with five wins in a row, Green takes his first loss since Bellator to stand 14-4.
Chase Gormley outlasted Jon Madsen to claim the vacant heavyweight title in the co-main event. Madsen seemed to have Gormley in trouble in the early half of the fight as he rushed in with a barrage of strikes forcing Gormley to cover up. As Madsen wore down Gormley switched gears to grind out his opponent with stifling control. In the end Gormley was awarded the decision with two scores of 49-46 while Madsen won over one judge at 48-47. Gormley’s record improves to 12-4 with five wins in a row, Madsen drops to 8-2.
Another split decision was the result for the vacant lightweight title as UFC vet Pat Healy notched a win over Kurt Kinser. Kinser started out well with a neck crank and strikes following a quick takedown but Healy worked himself free to survive the round. In round 2 and 3 Healy took Kinser’s back with strikes in the second round and submission attempts in the third. Healy came out ahead on two judges scorecards 49-46 while the third scored it for Kinser 48-47 leaving Healy with a record of 31-20, Kinser his first loss for a record of 8-1.
In the first title fight of the night Brett Johns remained undefeated with a second-round rear-naked choke of Walel Watson for the vacant bantamweight strap. The fight started out with Watson going for guard control and Johns ground-and-pound until mid-way through the second when Johns took Watson’s back and sunk in the submission. Johns’ record remains perfect at 11-0, Watson falls to 13-8.
TFC 33 results
- Robert Washington def. Luciano dos Santos by unanimous decision
- Marcus Edwards def. Adam Nijem 1:20 R1 by technical submission
- Brian Davidson def. Estevan Payan by unanimous decision
- Andy Uhrich def. Bobby Cooper by split decision
- Belal Muhammad def. Keith Johnson by unanimous decision
- Anthony Gutierrez def. Austin Lyons 3:28 R3 by KO
- BW title: Brett Johns def. Walel Watson 3:06 R2 by rear-naked choke
- Andre Harrison def. Cody Bollinger by unanimous decision
- LW title: Pat Healy def. Kurt Kinser by split decision
- HW title; Chase Gormley def. Jon Madsen by unanimous decision
- FW title: Kurt Holobaugh def. Desmond Green by split decision