A middleweight showdown between Italy’s Alessio Di Chirico (10-1) and TUF 23 vet Eric Spicely (9-1) has been added to the UFC on Fox 23 card taking place later this month in Colorado. Promotion officials announced the bout on Tuesday.
UFC on Fox 23 will be held Jan. 28 from Pepsi Center in Denver. A women’s bantamweight fight between top contenders Valentina Shevchenko and Julianna Pena is expected to headline.
Di Chirico is looking to pick up his second victory inside the Octagon following a split decision win over Garreth McLellan at UFC on Fox 21 in August. The 27-year-old Italian made his UFC debut last April in Croatia but came up short on the judges’ scorecards against Bojan Velichovic. Prior to that “Manzo” had put together a perfect 9-0 run on the European circuit that included four wins by submission and four by knockout.
Spicely is coming off a first-round submission win over Thiago Santos at UFC Fight Night 95 in September. “The Dream Catcher” made his official UFC debut last July but was stopped by “Smile’n” Sam Alvey via submission. Fighting out of Rhode Island, Spicely had put together an impressive eight-fight unbeaten streak under the CES MMA banner prior to being selected for The Ultimate Fighter 23 in early 2016. As part of Team Claudia, the 30-year-old submission specialist won his first two matches on the reality show before getting stopped by Andrew Sanchez in the semifinals.
With this addition, UFC on Fox 23 now includes:
- Valentina Shevchenko vs. Julianna Pena
- Donald Cerrone vs. Jorge Masvidal
- Andrei Arlovski vs. Francis Ngannou
- Alex Caceres vs. Jason Knight
- Sam Alvey vs. Nate Marquardt
- Raphael Assuncao vs. Aljamain Sterling
- Luis Henrique da Silva vs. Jordan Johnson
- C. Cottrell vs. Jason Gonzalez
- Alessio Di Chirico vs. Eric Spicely
- Marcos Rogerio de Lima vs. John Phillips
- Li Jingliang vs. Bobby Nash
- Alexandre Pantoja vs. Eric Shelton
Stay close to www.adcombat.com for the latest in combat sports coverage.