Markus Perez Echeimberg made Ian Heinisch pay for his aggression as he submitted the hometown standout to claim the vacant Legacy Fighting Alliance middleweight title. LFA 22 took place September 8th at the 1stBank Center in Broomfield, CO with a main card broadcast on AXS TV.
Heinisch shot in early to take Echeimberg down but Echeimberg reversed and slapped on an arm-triangle choke. Heinisch reversed back to top position but could not escape the submission, submitting at 2:14 of the first round. Echeimberg claimed the middleweight title vacated by Eryk Anders as his record climbed to 9-0, Heinisch’s first pro MMA loss left his record 8-1.
Two-time TUF competitor Gilbert Smith closed out his pro career with a second victory over Benjamin Smith in the co-main event. Benjamin Smith took the first round by taking Gilbert down and spending a considerable about of time in top position before Gilbert switched gears late in the round. In the second round Gilbert turned the table by taking Benjamin down and proceeded to work from top position until Benjamin’s scramble to escape led to the guillotine choke from Gilbert. Gilbert’s pro MMA record comes to a close with a record of 13-6 breaking his two-fight skid, Benjamin fell to 15-5.
Next up for AXS TV’s powerhouse promotion is a return to Louisiana on September 22nd. Headlining that event is Derrick Krantz defending the welterweight belt against the less-experienced but undefeated James Nakashima while in the co-main event Andrea Lee defends the women’s flyweight belt against Jamie Thorton.
LFA 22 results
- Youssef Zalaal def. Maurice Salazar 4:41 R2 by TKO
- Jonathon Wyderko def. Juan Gonzalez 0:52 R2 by TKO
- Maycee Barber def. Mallory Martin by unanimous decision
- Brandon Royval def. Demetrius Wilson 2:00 R2 by triangle choke
- Derek Brenon def. Boimah Karmo by unanimous decision
- Chris Gutierrez def. Mario Israel by split decision
- Gilbert Smith def. Benjamin Smith 4:16 R2 by guillotine choke
- MW title: Markus Perez Echeimberg def. Ian Heinisch 2:14 R1 by arm-triangle choke