With a first-round submission Darrion Caldwell defeated former LFA champion Leandro Higo to defend the Bellator MMA bantamweight title. Bellator 195 took place March 2nd at the Winstar World Casino in Thackerville, OK with an undercard webstreamed at ParamountNetwork.com, main card broadcast on the Paramount Network.
Darrion Caldwell to nobody’s surprise quickly tried to instill his takedown strategy with two such attempts in the first two minutes. As Higo tried to regain his feet after the second takedown Caldwell took advantage of his exposed neck to slap on a guillotine choke to earn his fifth career submission win. Caldwell retained the bantamweight title with a record of 12-1 with three wins in a row, Higo fell to 18-4 with a Bellator record of 1-2.
It was takedown defense and effective striking that won Joe Taimanglo a split decision over former bantamweight champion Joe Warren. Warren managed to get Taimanglo down in the first and third rounds but was unable to capitalize or maintain position while Taimanglo was effective with his right hand especially in the first round. Taimanglo now stands 24-8-1 with his two-loss skid halted, Warren dropped to 15-7 maintaining his average of losing every other fight in the past two-and-a-half years.
Up next for the second-largest promotion is Bellator 196 in Hungary on April 6th. The card is another split MMA/kickboxing event with the MMA card headlined by James Gallagher vs. Adam Borics.
Bellator 195 results
- Ky Bennett def. Morgan Solis 3:37 R2 by Americana
- Justin Peterson def. Brian Grinnell 4:49 R1 by TKO
- Fernando Gonzalez def. Armando Servin 32:24 R1 by armbar
- Romero Cotton def. Justin Reeser 4:35 R2 by rear-naked choke
- Daniel Carey def. Cris Williams by unanimous decision
- Kevin Holland def. Teagan Dooley 2:59 R1 by triangle choke
- Aaron Webb def. Thomas Lopez 3:11 R1 by KO
- Juan Archuleta def. William Joplin by unanimous decision
- Kristina Williams def. Emily Ducote by split decision
- Joe Taimanglo def. Joe Warren by split decision
- BW title: Darrion Caldwell def. Leandro Higo 2:36 R1 by guillotine choke