Yancy Medeiros vs. Erick Silva booked for UFC 212
Welterweights Yancy Medeiros (13-4, 1 NC) and Erick Silva (19-7, 1 NC) are set to clash at UFC 212 in June. UFC officials recently announced the matchup.
UFC 212 will be held June 3 from Jeunesse Arena in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. A featherweight championship unification bout between Jose Aldo and Max Holloway will headline the card.
Medeiros made a successful welterweight debut at UFC 203 last September with a second-round submission win over Sean Spencer. Medeiros earned “Performance of the Night” honors for the victory. The 29-year-old Cesar Gracie product had been competing at lightweight before that and had earned victories over the likes of Damon Jackson, Joe Proctor and John Makdessi. Six of Medeiros’s 13 wins have been by knockout and he’s won four by submission.
Silva is coming off a “Fight of the Night” submission win over Luan Chagas at UFC Fight Night 95 last September. The win snapped a two-fight skid for the 32-year-old Brazilian and marked his seventh fight-night bonus award. Since making his octagon debut in 2011, Silva has gone 7-6 in the UFC’s welterweight division and has finished every opponent he’s beaten, including stoppages of Josh Koscheck, Mike Rhodes, Takenori Sato, Jason High, Charlie Brenneman and Luis Ramos.
The updated UFC 212 card includes:
- Featherweight Championship: José Aldo (c) vs. Max Holloway (ic)
- Middleweight: Anderson Silva vs. Kelvin Gastelum
- Women’s Strawweight: Cláudia Gadelha vs. Karolina Kowalkiewicz
- Bantamweight: Johnny Eduardo vs. Matthew Lopez
- Flyweight: Marco Beltrán vs. Deiveson Alcântara
- Middleweight: Antônio Carlos Júnior vs. Eric Spicely
- Welterweight: Yancy Medeiros vs. Erick Silva
Stay tuned for more updates to this card and follow www.adcombat.com for all your combat sports news.