Rory MacDonald, arguably Bellator’s biggest signing to date, makes his promotional debut against fellow UFC vet Paul Daley this weekend while former light heavyweight champion Liam McGeary faces Linton Vassell in the co-main event. Bellator 179 takes place May 19th at the SSE Arena in London, England with a preliminary card webcast at Spike.com, main card broadcast on Spike TV.
18-4 Rory MacDonald went 9-4 in the UFC from 2010-16 most notably with a welterweight title shot against then-champion Robbie Lawler, a fight MacDonald lost by TKO in the fifth round in July 2015. MacDonald followed up with a loss to Stephen Thompson last June which MacDonald lost by unanimous decision which propelled Thompson to his own title shots against current champion Tyrone Woodley. MacDonald instead of resigning with the UFC announced his signing with Bellator in August with this being his promotion debut. Daley went 2-1 in the UFC in 2009-10, 1-3 in Strikeforce, and is now 5-1 in Bellator. Daley lost a unanimous decision to former Bellator champion Douglas Lima last July then followed up with a KO of Brennan Ward in January.
Liam McGeary and Linton Vassell are two of Bellator’s most promising fighters that haven’t come from the UFC, now they square off in the co-main event. McGeary enters this bout 12-1 with his sole loss being to Phil Davis, a bout which cost McGeary the light heavyweight belt he took from Emanuel Newton and defended against former UFC champion Tito Ortiz. Davis bounced back from that first career loss to defeat Brett McDermott in February by TKO at Bellator 173. 17-5 Vassell lost to Newton then defeated Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou, lost to former Strikeforce champion Muhammed Lawal, defeated Newton, and most recently won a unanimous decision over Francis Carmont last November.
- BW: Salih Kulucan vs. Diego Barbosa
- MW: Marcin Prostko vs. Mike Shipman
- HW: Neil Grove vs. Lukasz Parobiec
- 150: Jeremy Petley vs. Chase Morton
- MW: Fabian Edwards vs. Rafal Cejrowski
- WW: Umer Kayani vs. Nathan Jones
- Flyweight: Jamie Powell vs. Amir Albazi
- HW: Stav Economou vs. Dan Konecke
- LW: Jay Dods vs. Alfie Davis
- WW: Kevin Ferguson, Jr. vs. DJ Griffin
- WW: Dan Edwards vs. Alex Lohore
- HW: Cheick Kongo vs. Augusto Sakai
- LHW: Liam McGeary vs. Linton Vassell
- WW: Rory MacDonald vs. Paul Daley