Tybura to defend HW belt against Delija at M-1 Challenge 61
M-1 Challenge 61 which was originally scheduled for September 5th in Beijing finally takes place this weekend in Ingushetia, Russia. The original date was cancelled when China suspended all events in honor of the end of World War II affecting not only M-1 Challenge but also One Championship (see archives). Fortunately the main event is still intact with Marcin Tybura defending the heavyweight title against Ante Dejija. M-1 Challenge 61 takes place September 20th in the Republic of Ingushetia, Russia with a pay-per-view webcast through the promotion’s website.
Marcin Tybura won the heavyweight title with a north-south choke of Damian Grabowski in August 2014. After defending the title against Denis Smoldarev Tybura dropped to light heavyweight to fight Stephan Puetz in a superfight, a bout that Tybura lost by TKO in May. That loss at light heavyweight represents Tybura’s only professional MMA loss in his 12-1 career. 14-2 Ante Delija is on a five-fight win streak with a notable win over Valentijn Overeem in July 2014 while his most recent fight was a win over Tibor Sos in May, both of which were victories by TKO.
The co-main event sees 18-5 Magomed Sultanakhmedov fight 32-10 Carlos Alexandre Pereira. Sultanakhmedov hasn’t fought since March 2011 when he defeated Tyson Jeffries at M-1 Challenge 24. Alexandre on the other hand has been active in that time with his current four-fight win streak capped with his August submission of Mailson Azevedo
- Elmar Mamedov vs. Ruslan Esmurziev
- Evgeni Boldyrev vs. Murad Izmailov
- Vyacheslav Ten vs. Rustam Gadzhiev
- Maxim Grabovich vs. Adam Elmurziev
- Sergei Kutsyy vs. Akramat Evkurov
- Ramazan Esenbaev vs. Damir Ismagulov
- Alexander Panasyuk vs. Lom-Ali Nalgiev
- Sergej Grecicho vs. Magomed Idrisov
- Antun Racic vs. Alexey Nevzorov
- Magomed Sultanakhmedov vs. Carlos Alexandre Pereira
- HW title: Marcin Tybura vs. Ante Delija