Adam Townsend came back from being stunned by Marcus Edwards to control his opponent en route to a third-round TKO in the main event of Legacy Fighting Alliance’s Colorado debut. LFA 5 took place February 24th at the 1st Bank Center in Broomfield, CO with a main card broadcast on AXS TV.
It was relatively early in round 1 when Marcus Edwards landed a head kick stunning Adam Townsend. Edwards rushed in to finish but Townsend recovered enough to take Edwards down for ground-and-pound. Rounds two and three saw Townsend take Edwards down early for more of the same with Edwards doing little beyond the occasional setting up of a leg submission before Townsend escaped and went back to striking. With seven seconds left in the fight Townsend was in top position throwing heavy shots down at Edwards causing the referee to step in and stop the action. With the win Townsend advances to 17-4 with three wins in a row, his only loss in his last twelve fights or three years being a split decision to Ernest Chavez in December 2015. Edwards fell to 12-5 with his modest two-fight win streak broken.
Fundamentals were what propelled Jamall Emmers to victory over Cory Sandhagen in the co-main event. Emmers’ relentless drive forward and his successful takedowns in rounds 2 & 3 propelled him to a unanimous decision that improved his record to 11-3, Sandhagen took his first loss to exit the cage 4-1.
Up next for LFA is a trip to San Antonio where Rivaldo Junior faces Ray Rodrigues in the main event.
LFA 5 results
- Arut Pogosjan def. Nicholi Navarro by split decision
- Slobodan Maksimovic def. Eric Grant by unanimous decision
- Brandon Royval def. Rakan Adwan 1:54 R1 by armbar
- Matt Johnson def. Le’Ville Simpson by unanimous decision
- Matthew Frincu def. Kris Hocum by unanimous decision
- Jamall Emmers def. Cory Sandhagen by unanimous decision
- Adam Townsend def. Marcus Edwards 4:53 R3 by TKO