Resurrection Fighting Alliance welterweight champion Gilbert Smith made now a successful first defense of the belt following his TKO of fellow UFC vet Bristol Marunde. RFA 31 took place October 9th at the Downtown Las Vegas Events Center in Las Vegas, NV with a main card broadcast on AXS TV.
In a striking war Smith won round 1 while Marunde took rounds 2 and 3 with the end coming in round 4. Marunde started out that round well until Smith connected with a right hook that broke Marunde’s jaw and elicited an immediate surrender. With the first defense of the title Smith improves to 12-4 with two wins in a row, 7-2 post-UFC. Marunde exits 16-10 with his four-fight streak ended and a post-UFC record of 4-1.
The co-main event was much less close as MMA Lab’s Jocelyn Jones-Lybarger dominated former Bellator champion Zoila Frausto to win a unanimous decision and the inaugural women’s strawweight title. Jones-Lybarger knocked down Frausto in round 1 and never let up, landing combinations to the body and head en route to a five-round unanimous decision. Jones-Lybarger now stands 6-1, Frausto falls to 12-5 with four losses in a row.
Up next for RFA is a return to Minnesota for RFA 32. The card is still emerging, at this time headlining the event is Melvin Blumer vs. Leandro Higo in a bantamweight showdown.
RFA 31 results
- Corey Turner def. Marty Sader 0:18 R1 by KO
- Jeff Roman def. Hector Saldana by unanimous decision
- Jason Pacheco def. Jamin Tayaba 3:54 R2 by kimura
- David Arcangel def. Zane Behrend 1:12 R2 by rear-naked choke
- Zach Riley def. Shai Lindsey 0:59 R1 by triangle choke
- Bojan Velickovic def. Vardan Sholinian by unanimous decision
- Matthew Lopez def. Justin Linn 2:16 R1 by face lock
- Gabriel Checco def. Mike Jasper 4:19 R3 by triangle armbar
- Women’s strawweight title: Jocelyn Jones-Lybarger def. Zoila Frausto by unanimous decision
- WW title: Gilbert Smith def. Bristol Marunde 2:03 R4 by TKO