Anthony Smith defended the Cage Fury Fighting Championship while Azunna Anyanwu regained the heavyweight strap, both in rematches at CFFC 50. The event took place July 18th at the Borgata Hotel Casino and Spa in Atlnatic City, NJ with an undercard webcast as an iPPV at GoFightLive, a main card to be broadcast at an unspecified date on the CBS Sports Network.
UFC vet Anthony Smith took the belt from Tim Williams at February’s CFFC 46 with a second-round inverted triangle choke. On this night it took just over one minute for “Lionheart” to defend the belt from Williams as a knee to the head against the cage caused the TKO. Smith stuffed the Williams’ shots and drove the former champion and crowd favorite against the cage where a series of strikes had referee Keith Peterson paying close attention, finally halting the action when the knee connected and Williams crumbled to the mat. Smith’s win streak is extended to 5-0 with an overall record of 22-11, 5-1 post-UFC.
The rematch between Plinio Cruz and Azunna Anyanwu was drastically different from their first encounter in which Cruz wrested the belt from the then-champion. In their first meeting Anyanwu seemed a ghost of his normally aggressive self as he allowed Cruz to instill his will leading to a first-round KO. This night Anyanwu kept his distance and picked his shots while defending the shots of Cruz. Cruz still took the first two rounds and on one judge’s scorecards the third as well but as the fight wore on Anyanwu took control and landed more damaging strikes. Although unable to put Cruz away Anyanwu did enough to earn the split decision to improve his record to 9-3, Cruz drops to 7-6.
At this point there is no word on when the main card will be broadcast on the CBS Sports Network and there is no word on the next CFFC event.
CFFC 50 results
- Jenna Serio def. Rachel Sazoff by unanimous decision
- Paul Grant def. Matt Firneno 1:17 R2 by rear-naked choke
- Nicholas Willey def. Matt Ruskin 4:45 R3 by TKO
- Chris Daukaus def. Jeffrey Blachly 0:50 R2 by verbal submission
- Sergio da Silva def. Dwayne Holman Jr. by split decision
- Jimmy Grant def. Darren Mima 2:59 R1 by heel hook
- Francisco Isata def. Lester Caslow by unanimous decision
- Robert Watley def. Sergio de Bari by unanimous decision
- Karl Roberson def. Michael Wilcox 3:11 R1 by armbar
- Stephen Regman def. Jordan Stiner 0:28 R3 by guillotine choke
- HW title: Azunna Anyanwu def. Plinio Cruz by split decision
- MW title: Anthony Smith def. Tim Williams 1:02 R1 by TKO