On Monday, the Professional Shooto announced the Three Awards of 2017 rookie tournament.
“Captain Africa” from MMA Dojo Cobra-kai was chosen as MVP.
Technical Award went to Kunihisa Sasa while Fighting-Spirit Award went to Ryosuke Honda.
All three winners are students of UFC veterans.
“Captain Africa” is from Dokonjonosuke Mishima’s gym, Sasa is a student of Ryo Chonan, and Honda is from the team founded by Mizuto Hirata.
All three of them are undefeated. Sasa has the best pro record to of three, with 3-0, and has a next fight confirmed on February 24th. “Captain America” is 2-0 and also has a fight confirmed. A big chance because he is fighting former Pancrase welterweight champion Shingo Suzuki at 155 lbs on March 25th. Honda is also 2 wins, and with 1 draw.
The following is the list of rookie tournament winners from all weight classes. This year, only one fighter from Tokyo conquered tournament. All the other winners are from other cities – Osaka, Niigata, Fukuoka, Okinawa, and Gunma.
- Strawweight – Ken Asahina (Japan / Paraestra Okinawa)
- Flyweight – Ryosuke Honda (Japan / CAVE)
- Bantamweight – Kunihisa Sasa (Japan / TRIBE TOKYO M.M.A.)
- Featherweight – Yutaka Hoshino (Japan / SAI-GYM)
- Lightweight – “Captain Africa” (Japan / MMA Dojo Cobra-kai)
- Welterweight – Yuki Ueno (Japan / AACC X SPIDER)
Report by Shu Hirata
Photo courtesy of Bout Review (www.boutreview.com)