Patricky Freire took a step closer to a rematch against current Bellator lightweight champion Michael Chandler as he outstruck UFC vet Josh Thomson en route to a KO win at Bellator 172. The original main event between Fedor Emelianenko and Matt Mitrione fell through due to illness leaving “Pitbull” vs. “the Punk” to headline while UFC vet Cheick Kongo vs. Oli Thompson was elevated to co-main event status. Bellator 172 took place February 18th at the SAP Center in San Jose, CA with an undercard webstreamed at Spike.com, main card broadcast on Spike TV.
Patricky Freire outstruck Thompson throughout the first round firing off leg kicks that for the most part kept Thomson out of range. Round two started off with the two clashing heads and Thomson briefly hitting the canvas before getting to his knees to grab for Pitbull’s legs only to get tagged with an uppercut that sent Thomson to his back, the follow-up hammerfist to the face sealing the victory for Freire. 30 year-old Freire now stands 17-8 with this fight being his first since his KO loss to Chandler last June, 38 year-old Thomson exited 22-9, 2-1 post-UFC.
The co-main event was equally one-sided as Cheick Kongo earned a unanimous decision over Oli Thompson. Kongo utilized knees in close quarters standing but his strategy was standard ground-and-pound, taking Thompson down repeatedly for elbows and hammerfists. At 41 years old Kongo now holds a MMA record of 26-10-2, 37 year-old Thompson fell to 17-10.
Bellator take no time off as they return on February 24th with Bellator 173 where Liam McGeary faces Chris Fields. Bellator 174 takes place March 3rd, Marloes Coenen vs. Julia Budd headlines that event.
Bellator 172 results
- Justin Tenedora def. Roque Reyes 4:59 R2 by rear-naked choke
- Diego Herzog vs. Martin Sano declared a draw
- Gaston Bolanos def. Abner Perez 4:53 R1 by TKO
- James Terry def. J.C. Llamas 0:37 R3 by technical decision
- J. Okanovich def. Zach Andrews 2:26 R2 by rear-naked choke
- Nikko Jackson def. Cesar Gonzalez by unanimous decision
- Mauricio Alonso def. Josh Koscheck 4:42 R1 by TKO
- Veta Arteaga def. Brooke Mayo 4:04 R3 by TKO
- Anatoly Tokov def. Francisco France 2:24 R2 by TKO
- Cheick Kongo def. Oli Thompson by unanimous decision
- Patricky Freire def. Josh Thomson 0:40 R2 by KO