Almost two-and-a-half years after his last fight Nick Newell returned to the cage at Legacy Fighting Alliance where he picked up a first-round submission over Sonny Luque. LFA 35 took place March 9th at the Arena Theatre in Houston, TX with a main card broadcast on AXS TV.
After a brief feeling out period Newell shot in on Luque, lifting his opponent into the air and depositing him on his back. Newell immediately took Luque’s back and fired off one punch to the side of the head as he tried to open a rear-naked choke before settling on a face crank for the tapout. Newell’s return improved his record to 14-1 with three wins in a row, his only loss being to former WSOF champion and currently #6 ranked UFC lightweight Justin Gaethje. Luque fell to 10-7.
In the co-main event Vernon Lewis also won his return to MMA as he won a close unanimous decision over Jared Vanderaa. Vanderaa used punch and kick combinations while Lewis relied on his left cross and straight right in a battle that mostly took place on the feet. Lewis seemed to lose round 1 and take the edge in scoring in the second before pulling ahead in the third round to win the decision. Lewis now holds a record of 5-3 with this being his first fight since losing to Cody East for the vacant LFC title in October 2014. Vanderaa’s second loss in a row left his record 6-3.
AXS TV take a week off of live programming by airing AXS TV Fights Cageside on March 16th after which LFA returns on March 23rd.
Main card results
- Leomana Martinez def. Casey Jones 2:25 R1 by KO
- Cheyanne Vlismas def. Karla Hernandez 4:22 R3 by TKO
- Adrian Yanez def. Nathan Trepagnier 4:56 R1 by KO
- Charles Cheeks III def. Rivaldo Junior by unanimous decision
- Jason Langellier def. Thomas Webb 1:10 R1 by d’Arce choke
- Vernon Lewis def. Jared Vanderaa by unanimous decision
- Nick Newell def. Sonny Luque 2:10 R1 by face crank