From New Jersey Martial Arts Hall of Fame:
(New Jersey) – The New Jersey Martial Arts Hall of Fame is extremely proud of its third class of inductees to the New Jersey Martial Arts Hall of Fame. This class will be honored at the third dinner gala to be held at the beautiful La Quinta Inns & Suites on December 5, 2014.
On December 5th, Chris Liguori will be inducted as Pioneer Fighter.
Chris started training and competing in MMA at the age of 16 with local NJ gym Pittspen. The sport of MMA, or as it was known back then, NHB (No Holds Barred), was new and just starting to evolve. There wasn’t much available as far as coaching, so it was not uncommon for Chris to travel as far as Iowa to train with the famous Pat Militich at points early in his career. Chris would fight his first MMA fight under the Bamma banner. The event was held in South Plainfield High School. After a few fights for Bamma, Chris began to fight for Lou Neglia’s Ring of Combat, which was in its early stages of development. He would later go on to win the Ring of Combat lightweight championship. Chris made his UFC debut on, November 21st 2003, at the age of 20 years old. In his stellar career, Chris has compiled an extensive resume of 3 championships in 2 different weight classes and competed in many top organizations such as Strike Force, Bellator, MFC and CFFC. A loving father of 4 and true pioneer of the sport, both in and out the cage, Chris now trains under Professor Ricardo Almeida and has started to coach athletes in the sport he loves.
We hope you will join us on December 5, 2014 Mark your calendars now and purchase your tickets early so you can be sure to be a part of New Jersey martial arts history. Call 201-538-4843 or visit www.njmmaawards.comand get your ticket and join us in a historic night for New Jersey and for martial arts. It is certain to be a terrific night with family, friends, fun, and music.
Here is the complete list of award winners:
2014 Third Class Inductee Awards
- Referee – Keith Peterson
- Muay Thai Trainer – Tommy Dowd
- MMA School Owner – Nick Catone
- Prestigious Achievement – Dylan Wanagiel
- Muay Thai Fighter – Justin Greskiewicz
- Ringside Physician – Dr. Steven Oxler
- Pioneer Physician – Dr. Mark Belafsky
- Striking Coach – Mark Henry
- USA Boxing – Henry Hascup
- Event Organizer – Alan Goldberg
- Pioneer Fighter – Chris Liguori
- MMA Judge – Eric Colon
- Administrator – Joan Pierce
- Traditional Martial Arts – Karriem Abdallah
- MMA Fighter – Dan Miller
- Fighter of the year – Chris Weidman
- MMA Nutritionist – Mike Dolce
- Wrestling Coach – Scott Goodale
- Scorekeeper – Ellen Rubin
- Grappling – Tom Manelski