Morales welcomes Soukhamthath to the octagon at UFC 209
Bantamweight Albert Morales (6-1-1) will welcome reigning CES MMA 135-pound champ Andre Soukhamthath (11-3) to the octagon for the first time at UFC 209 this weekend. The late addition to the card was announced this past week.
UFC 209 will be held March 4 from T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas. Tyron Woodley will defend his welterweight title in a rematch against Stephen Thompson in the main event.
Riding a six-fight unbeaten streak, Morales made his UFC debut this past September against TUF Latin America winner Alejandro Perez and the two fought to a draw. Morales returned for his sophomore octagon appearance in November but was stopped by top contender Thomas Almeida via TKO in the second round. Prior to signing with the UFC, Morales had finished five of the six opponents he had beaten, including a knockout of Mario Israel in the RFA promotion, as well as a TKO of John Yoo and a submission over Fabian Gonzalez in Bellator.
Soukhamthath comes into the UFC on a three-fight winning streak, most recently defending his CES MMA bantamweight title with a second-round KO of Kin Moy last August. The 28-year-old “Asian Sensastion” won the CES MMA vacant 135-pound title in March of last year with a knockout of Kody Nordby, and before that he had knocked out Carlos Galindo at CES 31 in Oct. 2015. A former member of the now defunct Team Blackzilians, Soukhamthath is a known finisher having stopped seven opponents via knockout and three by submission. In 11 wins, he’s only been the distance once.
Here’s the final UFC 209 lineup:
MAIN CARD (Pay-per-view, 10 p.m. ET)
- Tyron Woodley vs. Stephen Thompson – for welterweight title
- Tony Ferguson vs. Khabib Nurmagomedov – for interim lightweight title
- Rashad Evans vs. Daniel Kelly
- David Teymur vs. Lando Vannata
- Mark Hunt vs. Alistair Overeem
PRELIMINARY CARD (FS1, 8 p.m. ET)
- Luis Henrique vs. Marcin Tybura
- Mirsad Bektic vs. Darren Elkins
- Iuri Alcantara vs. Luke Sanders
- Mark Godbeer vs. Daniel Spitz
PRELIMINARY CARD (UFC Fight Pass, 6:30 p.m. ET)
- Paul Craig vs. Tyson Pedro
- Cynthia Calvillo vs. Amanda Cooper
- Albert Morales vs. Andre Soukhamthath