Marcos Rogerio de Lima to face newcomer John Phillips at UFC on FOX 23
TUF Brazil 3 veteran Marcos Rogerio de Lima (14-4-1) will face promotional newcomer John “The White Mike Tyson” Phillips (21-6) in light heavyweight action at UFC on FOX 23 next month. The promotion announced the pairing this week.
UFC on FOX 23 will be held Jan. 28 from the Pepsi Center in Denver, Colo. A battle between top women’s bantamweights Valentina Shevchenko and Julianna Pena will headline the card.
De Lima has finished 10 of his 14 wins via knockout, including first round stoppages of Richardson Moreira and Igor Pokrajac since he made his UFC debut in 2014. “Pezao” started off 2016 with a submission win over Clint Hester in April, but was most recently submitted by Gadzhimurad Antigulov at UFC Fight Night 100 last month.
Phillips makes his Octagon debut riding a four-fight KO winning streak, most recently knocking out Otavio Lacerda at Budo Fighting Championships 16 in September. Prior to that the 31-year-old Welsh fighter knocked out Cheick Kone for the BAMMA middleweight title in February. Phillips got his nickname “The White Mike Tyson” for a reason as he’s finished 18 of his 21 wins via knockout.
The full lineup for UFC on FOX 23 now includes:
- Women’s Bantamweight: Valentina Shevchenko vs. Julianna Peña
- Welterweight: Donald Cerrone vs. Jorge Masvidal
- Heavyweight: Andrei Arlovski vs. Francis Ngannou
- Welterweight: Li Jingliang vs. Yancy Medeiros
- Middleweight: Nate Marquardt vs. Sam Alvey
- Middleweight: Hector Lombard vs. Brad Tavares
- Lightweight: Jason Gonzalez vs. J.C. Cottrell
- Light Heavyweight: Marcos Rogério de Lima vs. John Phillips
- Flyweight bout: Eric Shelton vs. Alexandre Pantoja
- Bantamweight bout: Raphael Assunção vs. Aljamain Sterling