Cage Fury Fighting Championship closed out their 2014 season with another two title fights as the featherweight and flyweight belts were on the line. CFFC 44 took place December 12th at the Sands Event Center in Bethlehem, PA with a pay-per-view webcast through GoFightLive.
In the main event Levan Makashvili took back the featherweight title from the man who took it from him in August, Alexandre Bezerra. The first half of this 5-round war saw Makashvili close the distance and try to take Bezerra down however Bezerra couldn’t be kept on the ground leaving both fighters to score mostly with standup. Bezerra started to time his counter-striking in the fourth round but by then it was too little too late to fully assert himself in the eyes of the judges who seemed to see Makashvili winning most of the exchanges in the first three rounds. In the end Makashvili walked away with the unanimous decision to win the title and up his record to 6-1 with his only loss avenged while Bezerra exits the cage 17-4.
With Nick Honstein moving on to TFC the flyweight belt was up for grabs in the co-main event as the man Honstein defeated for the belt Darren Mima clashed with Sidemar Honorio in a second bid for the title. Mima managed to take Honorio down early but couldn’t keep the Renzo Gracie protégé down with the fighters returning to their feet. The second time the fight went to the ground both went for leg submissions with Honorio hitting the Achilles lock for the win at just under three minutes. Honorio emerges 10-5 with this fight being the first since leaving WSOF, Mima drops to 5-3 with two losses in a row.
At this time there is no word on the next CFFC event.
CFFC 44 results
- Caleb Michaels def. Shaun Teed
- Greg Quarantello def. James Jordan
- Tim Lutke def. Donta Wade by unanimous decision
- Johnson Jajoute def. Tim Kunkel 1:37 R2 by TKO
- Troy Whittman def. Ricky Nuno 1:45 R3 by TKO
- Lester Caslow def. Justin Dalton 2:11 R1 by guillotine choke
- Claudio Ledesma def. Dave Morgan 2:48 R1 by rear-naked choke
- Stephan Regman def. Shelby Graham by unanimous decision
- Jeremiah Wells def. Bradley Desir 4:35 R2 by rear-naked choke
- Jared Gordon def. Corey Bleaken by unanimous decision
- Anthony Terrell def. Brett Martinez 2:51 R2 by submission to strikes
- Flyweight title: Sidemar Honorio def. Darren Mima 2:54 R1 by Achilles lock
- FW title: Levan Makashvili def. Alexandre Bezerra by unanimous decision