The second co-promotion between Bellator and BAMMA went according to plan as Liam McGeary defeated Brett McDermott and James Gallagher defeated Kirill Medvedovsky. The event featured BAMMA 28 as an undercard webstreamed on Spike.com, a main card consisting of Bellator 173 broadcast on Spike TV with the two-in-one event held February 24th at the SSE Arena in Belfast, Northern Ireland.
Liam McGeary’s performance against Brett McDermott wasn’t flawless as the late-replacement fighter knocked the former light heavyweight champion down in the first round. That scoring seemed to make McGeary switch gears as the rest of the first round and the short stretch of the second were all McGeary who used powerful punches to open a couple cuts on the face of McGeary. Just past the one-minute mark of the second round the cageside physician was called to look at McDermott’s face which resulted in the TKO by doctor’s stoppage. McGeary now stands 12-1 with his sole loss being against Phil Davis last November, a loss that cost McGeary the light heavyweight title he held for a year-and-a-half. McDermott exited the cage 7-5 but with the respect of stepping up to fight McGeary on roughly one-week’s notice.
Bellator’s search for a copy of Conor McGregor seems to be going according to plan as SBG Ireland’s James Gallagher kept his perfect record intact with a defeat of Kirill Medvedovsky. Unlike McGregor however Gallagher is best known for the ground game which was again on display this night. Gallagher softened up Medvedovsky on the feet before taking him down, scoring punches to open Medvedovsky, and finished the fight with a rear-naked choke all in 2:53. Gallagher’s pro MMA record improved to 6-0, Medvedovsky’s third loss in a row left his record 7-4.
Bellator return March 3rd with a full and more competitive show featuring Marloes Coenen vs. Julia Budd in the main event. At this time there is no word on the next BAMMA event.
BAMMA 28 results
- Keith McCabe def. Glenn Irvine 0:39 R1 by heel hook
- Andrew Murphy def. Stephen Kilifin 4:58 R1 by TKO
- Paul Hughes def. Adam Gustab 1:32 R1 by TKO
- Will Fleury def. Kyle McClurkin 2:49 R1 by TKO
- Daniel Rutkowski def. Niall Smith 2:16 R3 by TKO
- Daniel Olejniczak def. Jonathan Reid 1:47 R1 by TKO
- Jonathan Brookins def. Decky Dalton by unanimous decision
- Tim Barnett def. Rhys McKee 4:58 R1 by TKO
- Damien Lapilus def. Ronnie Mann by unanimous decision
- Andy Young def. Dominique Wooding 3:06 R3 by rear-naked choke
- Norman Parke def. Paul Redmond by majority decision
Bellator 173 results
- Shay Walsh def. James McErlean by unanimous decision
- Alex Lohore def. Colin Fletcher 2:42 R2 by rear-naked choke
- Iony Razafiarison def. Sinead Kavanagh by unanimous decision
- James Gallagher def. Kirill Medvedovsky 2:53 R1 by rear-naked choke
- Liam McGeary def. Brett McDermott 1:06 R2 by TKO