Kunitskaya defeats Pa’aluhi, wins vacant BW title at Invicta FC 25
Yana Kunitskaya is once again Invicta FC bantamweight champion having defeated Raquel Pa’aluhi. Kunitskaya briefly tasted championship victory when she was originally declared the victor in her bout against Tonya Evinger at Invicta FC 20 but after that fight was overturned to a “no contest” Kunitskaya lost to Evinger in a rematch, now she is champion without a doubt. Invicta FC 25 took place August 31st at the Tachi Palace Hotel and Casino in Lemoore, CA with a webcast at UFC Fight Pass.
Raquel Pa’aluhi wisely tried to take the fight to the mat against Yana Kunitskaya but for the most part Kunitskaya denied her success. On the feet Kunitskaya used kicks effectively from range and scored in the clinch with knees and short punches while Pa’aluhi was reduced to landing the occasional kick or punch. After five rounds Kunitskaya won the clear-cut decision with scores of 50-45 on all three scorecards improving her MMA record to 10-3, Pa’aluhi dropped to 6-6.
In the co-main event former strawweight champion Livia Renata Souza continued her climb back to the belt with a unanimous decision over Janaisa Morandin. Round one saw Morandin pressure early with punches until Souza took her down and hunted for submissions to win the round. Round 2 started out the same but Morandin slapped on a triangle choke that gave her the round and made the fight even. Round 3 started out with both fighters scoring strikes but once Souza got the takedown she spent the better part of three minutes scoring with strikes from guard and side control. The judges’ scorecards declared Souza the winner as her record climbed to 11-1 with her only loss being when she lost the title to now-UFC fighter Angela Hill in May 2016. Morandin’s first pro MMA loss left her record 9-1.
Invicta FC 25 results
- Jillian DeCoursey def. Ashley Medina by split decision
- Cheri Muraski def. Tracy Cortez 2:42 R2 by guillotine choke
- Yaya Rincon def. Courtney King 3:41 R2 by TKO
- Sarah Kieczka def. Amberlynn Orr by split decision
- Shino VanHoose def. Alyse Anderson by split decision
- Kali Robbins def. Sharon Jacobson 0:42 R1 by armbar
- Katharina Lehner def. Alexa Conners 4:21 R1 by TKO
- Livia Renata Souza def. Janaisa Morandin by unanimous decision
- BW title: Yana Kunitskaya def. Raquel Pa’aluhi by unanimous decision