The 20th anniversary of M-1 Global events saw Alexey Kunchenko defend the welterweight title for the third time while Artem Frolov claimed the vacant middleweight title with a TKO of Oleg Olenichev. M-1 Challenge 88 took place October 27th at the Ice Palace in St. Petersburg, Russia with the entire show webcast through the promotion’s website.
Although Alexey Kunchenko failed in his early attempt to take Sergey Romanov to the ground an overhand right served the same purpose as Kunchenko knocked Romanov down half-way through the first round. Follow-up punches on the ground sealed the TKO for the defending champion who stayed undefeated at 17-0, Romanov fell to 17-2.
In the co-main event Artem Frolov overpowered Caio Magalhaes to claim the vacant middleweight title. Frolov largely negated Magalaes’ submission game as he punished the Brazilian with strikes. By the fifth round both fighters seemed gassed while Magalhaes’ left eye was closing and blood flowed from his nose. The one-point deduction in the third round against Magalhaes for a second low blow didn’t seem to cost him the match as Frolov raked up enough points with the judges to take the decision and the vacant belt. Frolov remained undefeated at 10-0, Magalhaes dropped to 10-4.
M-1 Challenge 84 results
- Ilya Bochkov def. Arkadiy Lisin 4:24 R2 by TKO
- Dmitry Tebekin def. Vasily Volodko by unanimous decision
- Maxim Grabovich def. Temirlan Sharipov 1:57 R3 by rear-naked choke
- Danila Prikaza def. Akmadkhan Ozdoev by unanimous decision
- Zalimbek Omarov def. Sascha Sharma by unanimous decision
- Philip De Fries def. Anton Vyazigin by majority decision
- Enoc Solves Torres def. Andrey Seledtsov 0:44 R1 by armbar
- Roman Bogatov def. Jani Salmi by unanimous decision
- Bair Stepin def. Janne Elonen-Kulmala 4:44 R3 by triangle choke
- Joe Riggs def. Oleg Olenichev 3:21 R3 by TKO
- MW title: Artem Frolov def. Caio Magalhaes by unanimous decision
- WW title: Alexey Kunchenko def. Sergey Romanov 2:35 R1 by KO