M-1 Global lightweight champion Damir Ismagulov and bantamweight champion Movsar Evloev retained their titles with wins over Raul Tutarauli and Sergey Morozov respectively. M-1 Challenge 88 took place February 22nd at the SC Olimpiysky in Moscow, Russia with a webcast through the promotion’s website.
For Damir Ismagulov this was the second time he faces Raul Tutarauli with their first meeting in 2016 ending with Ismagulov winning by third-round TKO, this time it went to the judges. For four rounds Ismagulov and Tutarauli were fairly evenly matched with Ismagulov using more technical striking while trying to keep the fight standing while Tutarauli had the more powerful if slightly wild punches. The fifth round definitely belonged to the champion as he knocked down Tutarauli and scored a takedown to close out the round. In the end Ismagulov won the unanimous decision making a successful second defense of the belt as his record climbed to 16-1 with ten wins in a row. Tutarauli dropped to 18-5 with his 8-fight win streak at an end.
Movsar Evloev used an opposite strategy in his first defense of the bantamweight title as he took down and controlled Sergey Morozov until finding the submission in the third round. Morozov started out strong scoring on the champion with punches while for the most part keeping the fight on his feet. In the second round Evloev started to get his grappling game going and swung the bout in his favor. In the third Morozov seemed fatigued as Evloev took him down and sunk in a rear-naked choke for the win. Evloev remained undefeated at 9-0, Morozov fell to 10-3 with his modest two-fight win streak halted.
M-1 Global return March 9th for M-1 Challenge 89 in St. Petersburg. At this time no card is available.
- Vadim Shabadash def. Peter Petrov 4:06 R1 by TKO
- Maksim Yakobyuk def. Frank Kortz 4:06 R2 by TKO
- Vitaliy Slipenko def. Talekh Nadzhafadze by unanimous decision
- Ruslan Shamilov def. Reda Oudgou 3:12 R2 by rear-naked choke
- Rubenilton Pereira def. Rinat Sayakbaev by unanimous decision
- Aleksandr Osetrov def. Sergey Klyuev by unanimous decision
- Abdibait Uulu def. Maxim Divnich by unanimous decision
- Valery Myasnikov def. Joseph Henle 4:41 R1 by TKO
- Blair Shtepin def. Heilton dos Santos 4:17 R2 by TKO
- Khadis Ibragimov def. Stephan Puetz 2:12 R3 by bulldog choke
- BW title: Movsar Evloev def. Sergey Morozov 3:47 R3 by rear-naked choke
- LW title: Damir Ismagulov def. Raul Tutarauli by unanimous decision