Four fighters advanced to the semifinals of Rizin’s 2017 bantamweight grand prix with Kyoji Horiguchi, Manel Kape, Shintaro Ishiwatari, and Takafumi Otsuka all making the cut. Rizin Fighting World Grand Prix 2017 bantamweight tournament: 2nd round took place December 29th at the Saitama Super Arena in Saitama, Japan with a broadcast PPV on Fite TV, iPPV through the promotion’s website.
Kyoji Horiguchi’s win over Gabriel Oliveira was one-sided as the UFC vet used speed and accuracy to stay a step ahead of his opponent. Horiguchi got the better of Oliveira on the feet, in the clinch, and in the brief ground stanza. After returning to his feet Horiguchi knocked Oliveira down with follow-up punches sealing the TKO. Horiguchi enters the semifinals with a record of 21-2 with six wins in a row, three victories post-UFC. Oliveira’s first defeat left his record 10-1.
Ian McCall turned out to be his own downfall in the co-main event against Manel Kape. McCall seemed to have the edge against Kape but apparently dragged his own head across the ropes in an effort to control Kape which caused a cut above McCall’s eye. McCall went for a takedown and Kape countered with a guillotine but the blood from McCall’s self-induced cut caused the ringside doctor to halt the bout in favor of Kape. Kape is now 9-1 with seven wins in a row, McCall fell to 13-6 with this being his first bout since leaving the UFC on a loss.
Also advancing to the semifinals were Pancrase champion Shintaro Ishiwatari and Deep champion Takafumi Otsuka. Ishiwatari knocked out Kevin Petshi with a counter right while Otsuka submitted Khalid Taha.
The four bantamweights now advance to the semifinals on New Years Eve. Horiguchi will face Kape while Otsuka and Ishiwatari square off, the winners will then battle in the finals later the same night as the main event.
Rizin Day 1 results
- Kiichi Kunimoto def. Satoru Kitaoka by unanimous decision
- Kana Watanabe def. Shizuka Sugiyama by unanimous decision
- Kai Asakura def. Kizaemon Saiga 2:34 R2 by TKO
- Jae Hoon Moon def. Anthony Birchak by split decision
- Hiroyuki Takaya def. Baataryn Azjavkhlan by unanimous decision
- Cindy Dandois def. Reina Miura by split decision
- Jiri Prochazka def. Karl Albrektsson 9”57 R1 by TKO
- BW GP quarterfinals: Takafumi Otsuka def. Khalid Taha 3:23 R3 by guillotine choke
- BW GP quarterfinals: Shintaro Ishiwatari def. Kevin Petshi 4:31 R1 by KO
- BW GP quarterfinals: Manel Kape def. Ian McCall 1:46 R1 by TKO
- BW GP quarterfinals: Kyoji Horiguchi def. Gabriel Oliveira 4:30 R1 by TKO