Freire submits Straus, regains FW title at Bellator 178
Patricio Freire is once again Bellator’s featherweight champion following his win over Daniel Straus in their fourth matchup. Bellator 178 took place April 21st at the Mohegan Sun Arena in Uncasville, CT with seven fight webcast at Spike.com, four fights broadcast on Spike TV.
Round one of the main event saw Patricio Freire score with leg and body kicks while Straus tried to close the distance. In round 2 Straus closed only to find himself in a guillotine choke which caused the end of the fight 0:37 into the round. Freire who in his first reign as champion lost the belt to Straus finds redemption with a record now resting at 26-4, Straus who was coming off a year-and-a-half layoff fell to 25-7.
The co-main event was a clash of undefeated female flyweights with Ilima-Lei Macfarlane emerging victorious over Jessica Middleton. Macfarlane took Middleton down where she used elbows from side control before moving to mount and snatching the armbar for the win. Macfarlane improved to 6-0 with five of those wins being in the Bellator cage, Middleton’s first loss leaves her record 2-1.
Next up for Bellator is a return to London on May 19th where Paul Daley faces Rory Macdonald in the main event, Michael Page vs. Derek Anderson takes the co-main slot.
Bellator 178 results
- Kemran Lachinov def. Sam Watford by split decision
- Regivaldo Carvalho def. Jay Perrin 2:04 R3 by guillotine choke
- Don Shainis def. Mak Kelleher by unanimous decision
- Chris Foster def. Shane Manley by split decision
- Tyrell Fortune def. Branko Busick by unanimous decision
- Ed Ruth def. David Mundell 3:13 R2 by TKO
- Jordan Young def. Tim Caron 3:55 R1 by D’Arce choke
- Blair Tugman def. Tom English 4:54 R3 by rear-naked choke
- Kastriot Xhema def. Nick Alley 3:19 R1 by KO
- Remo Cardarelli def. John Lopez by unanimous decision
- A.J. McKee def. Dominic Mazzotta 1:15 R1 by KO
- Saad Awad def. Ryan Quinn by unanimous decision
- Ilima-Lei Macfarlane def. Jessica Middleton 2:15 R1 by armbar
- FW title: Patricio Freire def. Daniel Straus 0:37 R2 by guillotine choke