Frankie Edgar vs. Yair Rodriguez booked for UFC 211
UFC 211 has a new featherweight addition as former lightweight champ Frankie Edgar (21-5-1) is set to face Yair Rodriguez (10-1). UFC officials announced the bout on Thursday.
UFC 211 takes place May 13 from American Airlines Center in Dallas. Heavyweight champ Stipe Miocic defends his title against Junior Dos Santos in the main event, while strawweight champ Joanna Jedrzejczyk defends her title against Jessica Andrade in the co-headliner.
Edgar has gone 6-2 since making his featherweight debut in 2013. He most recently won a unanimous decision over Jeremy Stephens at UFC 205 this past November. Following consecutive wins over Charles Oliveira, BJ Penn, Cub Swanson, Urijah Faber and Chad Mendes, Edgar faced Jose Aldo for the interim featherweight title at UFC 200 in July of last year but lost the decision. He is currently ranked No. 2 in the division.
Rodriguez won The Ultimate Fighter: Latin America featherweight tournament in 2014 and is now 6-0 inside the octagon, including four fight-night bonus awards. He most recently stopped BJ Penn via TKO at UFC Fight Night 103 in January. The 24-year-old Mexican fighter also holds octagon wins over Alex Caceres, Andre Fili, Dana Hooker, Charles Rosa and Leonardo Morales. Rodriguez holds the No. 9 spot in the UFC’s official featherweight rankings.
The updated UFC 211 card now includes:
- Champ Stipe Miocic vs. Junior Dos Santos – for heavyweight title
- Champ Joanna Jedrzejczyk vs. Jessica Andrade – for strawweight title
- Demian Maia vs. Jorge Masvidal
- Ben Rothwell vs. Fabricio Werdum
- Eddie Alvarez vs. Dustin Poirier
- Henry Cejudo vs. Sergio Pettis
- Enrique Barzola vs. Gabriel Benitez
- Jarjis Danho vs. Dmitry Poberezhets
- David Branch vs. Krzysztof Jotko
- Frankie Edgar vs. Yair Rodriguez
Stay tuned to www.adcombat.com for more UFC 211 updates and all your BJJ and MMA news.