In an unusual turn of events Brian Foster both lost in the quarterfinals and won in the finals of World Series of Fighting’s single-night 8-man tournament. WSOF 25 took place November 20th at the Comerica Theatre in Phoenix, AZ with an undercard webstreamed at WSOF.com, a main card broadcast on the NBC Sports Network.
In the quarterfinals Foster was submitted by Joao Zeferino with a heel hook in the first round. In the semifinals Zeferino defeated Jorge Patino while Foster replaced an injured Mike Ricci to defeat Luis Palomino setting the stage for a rematch about two hours after their first bout. In the finals Zeferino won round 1 as he constantly hunted for a submission. In the second round Foster took Zeferino down with a bodylock then hovered over the Brazilian throwing punches at his dazed opponent. With about 15 seconds left in the round Foster raised his arms in victory but the fight wasn’t stopped causing Foster to follow up with a couple more punches at the dazed Zeferino until the TKO was called. Foster walks away with a record of 25-8 and the right to face current champion Justin Gaethje, Zeferino sees his seven-fight win streak come to an end with a record of 20-7.
In the co-main event Jason High had a successful WSOF debut dispatching fellow UFC vet Estevan Payan with a second-round KO. Round 1 saw High use his wrestling to try to control most of the round. In round 2 Payan continued to press forward until a head kick knocked him down and two hammerfists from High ended the bout by KO. High emerges 19-5, Payan falls to 16-9.
WSOF 25 results
- Ramil Mustapaev def. LaRue Burley by unanimous decision
- LW tournament quarterfinals: Islam Mamedov def. Jorge Patino by unanimous decision
- LW tournament quarterfinals: Mike Ricci def. Joe Condon 2:41 R1 by KO
- LW tournament quarterfinals: Joao Zeferino def. Brian Foster 1:46 R1 by heel hook
- LW tournament quarterfinals: Luis Palomino def. Richard Patishnock 4:55 R1 by TKO
- Roberto Young def. Jimmy Scully 1:11 R1 by TKO
- Joseph Barajas def. Erik Villalobos 4:06 R3 by TKO
- LW tournament quarterfinals: Joao def. Jorge Patino 1:24 R1 by heel hook
- LW tournament quarterfinals: Brian Foster def. Luis Palomino 4:19 R2 by TKO
- Jason High def. Estevan Payan 0:47 R2 by KO
- LW tournament finals: Brian Foster def. Joao Zeferino 4:51 R2 by KO