Jussier Formiga (19-4) has been forced to withdraw from his scheduled flyweight bout against Sergio Pettis (14-2) at UFC Fight Night 103 next month in Arizona due to injury. Stepping in against Pettis on short notice will be former 125-pound title challenger John Moraga (16-5). UFC officials recently announced the switch.
UFC Fight Night 103 will be held Jan. 15 at Talking Stick Resort Arena in Phoenix. The main event features a featherweight showdown between UFC Hall of Famer BJ Penn and Yair Rodriguez.
Moraga hasn’t fought since he dropped a split decision to Matheus Nicolau at the TUF 23 Finale in July. Prior to that he lost a split decision to Joseph Benavidez in May 2015 to end a two-fight winning streak that included submission wins over Willie Gates and Justin Scoggins. Moraga is currently ranked No. 8 in the flyweight division and has gone 5-4 inside the Octagon since making his UFC debut in 2012.
Pettis is ranked No. 12 in the 125-pound division and is coming off a unanimous decision win over Chris Kelades at UFC 196 in April. Before that he won a unanimous decision over Chris Cariaso in October 2015. Since returning to the flyweight division in early 2015, Pettis has gone 2-1. His overall UFC record is 5-2, with all five wins coming by way of decision.
With this change, UFC Fight Night 103 now includes:
- Yair Rodriguez vs. B.J. Penn
- Marcin Held vs. Joe Lauzon
- Court McGee vs. Ben Saunders
- Bryan Caraway vs. Jimmie Rivera
- John Moraga vs. Sergio Pettis
- Augusto Mendes vs. Frankie Saenz
- Aleksei Oleinik vs. Viktor Pesta
- Tony Martin vs. Alex White
- Nina Ansaroff vs. Jocelyn Jones-Lybarger
- Drakkar Klose vs. Devin Powell
- Walt Harris vs. Chase Sherman
- Joachim Christensen vs. Bojan Mihajlovic
- Cyril Asker vs. Dmitrii Smoliakov
Stay close to www.adcombat.com for more updates.