Chris Fishgold defended the Cage Warriors Fighting Championship for the third time as he dispatched Alexander Jacobsen by rear-naked choke while Lee Chadwick picked up the vacant middleweight title with a unanimous decision over Victor Cheng. CWFC 88 took place October 28th at the Echo Arena in Liverpool, England with a main card webcast at UFC Fight Pass.
For the first half of the round Chris Fishgold tried to close the distance against Alexander Jacobsen with strikes while Jacobsen tried to control the distance. Fishgold was unsuccessful with his first takedown but managed to drive Jacobsen against the cage on his second drive. After a couple knees against the fence Fishgold took Jacobsen to the mat and immediately moved to back control for the fight-ending rear-naked choke. Fishgold retained the title with a record of 17-1-1 and seven wins in a row, Jacobsen’s eight-fight win streak came to an end with his second pro loss of his 8-2 record.
Lee Chadwick managed to eke out a unanimous decision over Victor Cheng following a close five-round war over the vacant middleweight title. Going into the fifth round the scorecards were tied at two rounds a piece, Cheng taking the first to and Chadwick coming back to take the third and fourth rounds. In the fifth Cheng spent two minutes in top position using sort punches and elbows to the ribs while Chadwick threatened with a kimura. Chadwick however spent about as much time in top position with Cheng against the cage with the difference being Cheng didn’t get a threat going. With thirty seconds left in the fight Cheng returned to his feet only to be taken down in the final seconds. All three judges scored the fight 48-47 giving Chadwick the middleweight belt as his record improved to 24-13, Cheng dropped to 11-3.
CWFC 88 results
- Jack Della Maddalena def. James Duckett 3:44 R2 by rear-naked choke
- Jack Grant def. Perry Andre Goodwin 3:17 R1 by KO
- Mick Stanton def. Josh McManus by unanimous decision
- Paull McBain def. Sam Spencer 5:00 R1 by TKO
- Molly McCann def. Priscila de Souza by unanimous decision
- Soren Bak def. Martin Stapleton 3:51 R1 by rear-naked choke
- MW title: Lee Chadwick def. Victor Cheng by unanimous decision
- LW title: Chris Fishgold def. Alexander Jacobsen 4:15 R1 by rear-naked choke