At M-1 Challenge’s final event for 2016 Ramazan Emeev made a successful first defense of his second run as M-1 Challenge middleweight champion with a majority decision over Anatoly Tokov while Ivan Buchinger kept his title despite losing the fight against Magomed Idrisov. M-1 Challenge 73 took place December 9th in Nazran, Ingushetia, Russia with a webcast through the promotion’s website.
In Ramazan Emeev’s second defense of the middleweight belt the champion mostly walked down Tokov looking to exchange and score takedowns whole Tokov looked to land a big right hand and circle away. In the end Emeev won the unanimous decision based on his edge in striking and his continuous forward movement as his record improved to 15-3 with four wins in a row, this being his second defense of his second run as middleweight champion. Tokov emerged 24-2 with his seventeen-fight win streak at an end.
Ivan Buchinger’s second defense of the bantamweight title didn’t go according to plan. The fight started off with Magomed Idrisov being issued a yellow card or one-point deduction for missing weight by a half-pound, a penalty that also made this a non-title fight but still a five-round bout. The first three minutes were a feeling-out process with both fighters taking turns moving forward for mostly single strikes. At the three-minute mark Idrisov started opening up with multiple strikes until a straight left floored the champion with the TKO following soon after. Although he didn’t pick up the title Idrisov remained undefeated at 7-0, 4-0 in M-1 Challenge. Buchinger retained the belt but saw his eleven-fight win streak end as he dropped to 31-5.
M-1 Challenge 73 results
- Akhmadkhan Bokov def. Elmer Mamedov 4:17 R1 by armbar
- Kurban Ibragimov def. Denis Polekhin by unanimous decision
- Pavel Gordeev def. Erlan Ulukbelov 1:52 R2 by rear-naked choke
- Akhmadkhan Ozdoev def. Andrew Bilyk 4:32 R1 by KO
- Alexey Nevzorov def. Andrey Lezhnev 4:50 R2 by TKO
- Josh Rettinghouse def. Sergey Morozov 4:33 R1 by KO
- Khamzat Dalgiev def. Christian Holley 3:14 R2 by rear-naked choke
- Movsar Evloev def. Lee Morrison by unanimous decision
- Magomed Idrisov def. Ivan Buchinger 3:20 R1 by KO
- MW title: Ramazan Emeev def. Anatoly Tokov by majority decision
- Diego Davella def. Zalimbek Omarov 3:52 R2 by rear-naked choke