Askren stops Kadestam, retains WW title at One Championship: “Shanghai”
Ben Askren made his third defense of the One Championship welterweight title look easy as he dominated Zebaztian Kadestam en route to a second-round TKO. One Championship “Shanghai” took place September 2nd at the Shanghai Oriental Sports Center in Shanghai, China with an iPPV through the promotion’s website.
Ben Askren went to his wrestling roots early as he closed the distance to slam Kadestam to the ground. The former Bellator champion didn’t have much trouble alternating between mount and taking Kadestam’s back for the majority of two rounds until a series of strikes forces the TKO late in the second round. Askren’s record stayed perfect at 17-0, Kadestam who largely was ineffective exited the cage 9-4.
In the co-main event Haobin Ma extended his win streak to five in a row as he submitted Hexi Getu with a second-round guillotine choke. Ma now stands 7-1 Getu 0-3.
Asia’s biggest promotion still has nine events scheduled for the remained of this year with the next one being September 16th. On that card Kairat Akhmetov faces Geje Eustaquio.
One Championship results
- Chao Xie def. Marc Marcellinus 1:28 R1 by kimura
- Zehao Zhang def. Cheng Chao Li 2:53 R3 by TKO
- Jie Miao def. Mona Samir 0:49 R1 by armbar
- Sagetdao Petpayathai def. Mahmoud Mohamed 1:41 R1 by TKO
- Tetsuya Yamada def. Kyle Rozewski 1:56 R1 by rear-naked choke
- Chunyan Xu def. Ehpriyanut Phouthong by unanimous decision
- Amir Khan def. Jaroslav Jartim 3:46 R1 by KO
- Haobin Ma def. Hexi Getu 4:50 R2 by guillotine choke
- WW title: Ben Askren def. Zebaztian Kadestam 4:09 R2 by TKO