Andrew Sanchez defeats John Poppie, claims MW belt at RFA 28
Andrew Sanchez may be the new Resurrection Fighting Alliance middleweight champion but given his performance over John Poppie don’t expect the St. Louis fighter to say in RFA for long. RFA 28 took place August 7th at the Chase Park Plaza in St. Louis, MO with a main card broadcast on AXS TV.
Sanchez punished Poppie throughout the fight with an arsenal of strikes from head kicks to spinning backfists while Poppie deserves some credit for continually pushing forward. In the first round Poppie made the mistake of pulling Sanchez to the ground where he took elbows and punches to the face. In the second Sanchez opened a cut above Poppie’s eye which produced so much blood there was a temporary halt for the doctor to check Poppie out. Poppie continued only to be dropped by a spinning backfist in the third followed by strikes on the ground for the TKO. Sanchez walks away with the vacant belt and a 7-2 record, Poppie drops to 6-2.
In the co-main event Ken Porter derailed Matt Manzanares’ halt to his skid as the local fan favorite took a split decision. Manzanares started out effectively using a stick-and-move approach tagging Porter with leg kicks from range then disengaging before a counter. Porter switched gears in round 2 where he started to find success with ground-and-pound finally opening a cut on the forehead of Manzanares as the clock wound down. Porter now stands 9-2 with five wins in a row, Manzanares emerges 7-6 with four losses in a row.
RFA return in just two weeks with a USA vs. Brazil theme to RFA 29 on August 21st. Listed as “honorary coaches” are current UFC middleweight champion Robbie Lawler and former UFC light heavyweight champion Lyoto Machida. The event will feature Ricky Musgrave vs. Raoni Barcelos for the featherweight title and Jordon Larson vs. Ackson Junior for the welterweight belt.
RFA 28 results
- Andrew Wiltse def. Ross Campbell 2:05 R3 by KO
- Dakota Bush def. Derek Clardy 1:40 R2 by KO
- Tyler Flores def. Colby Tierney by unanimous decision
- Travis Draper def. Joe Valdez by split decision
- Adam Osmoe def. Jimmy Donahue 3:27 R1 by rear-naked choke
- Jake Roberts def. Chuka Willis by unanimous decision
- Thiago Moises def. Javon Wright 2:10 R2 by rear-naked choke
- Ken Porter def. Matt Manzanares by split decision
- MW title: Andrew Sanchez def. John Poppie 1:53 R3 by TKO