Sam Alvey defended the Maximum Fighting Championship middleweight title against Wes Swofford while Tom Gallicchio claimed the vacant lightweight title with a defeat of Kurt Southern Friday night. MFC 40 took place May 9th at the Shaw Conference Centre in Edmonton, Alberta with a main card broadcast live on AXS TV.
Both Alvey and Swofford came out strong in the first round trading blows with both fighters scoring early knockdowns. Rounds 2 and 3 were more cautious for both fighters while the 4th saw Alvey land a hook behind the ear for another knockdown of Swofford. Surprisingly the referee stepped in as soon as Swofford hit the canvas, waving off the fight ruled a KO despite Swofford seemingly able to recover and defend. Alvey’s record now stands at 22-5 with three wins in a row while Swofford drops to 9-5.
Interestingly Alvey’s next fight is only three weeks away and it isn’t in MFC. On May 31st Alvey faces Gerald Meerschaert at NAFC in Milwaukee.
In the co-main event of this show Tom Gallicchio won a rematch against Kurt Southern for the vacant lightweight title. Just like the first fight Gallicchio took Southern down and applied a rear-naked choke with the difference being this time it happened in the first instead of second round. Gallicchio is now 19-8 with three wins in a row, Southern 13-6 with two losses in a row.
Also on this card Jesse Brock earned a shot at the vacant bantamweight title with a defeat of Kevin Croom. Originally Croom was scheduled to fight Anthony Birchak for the title itself but a training injury force the Bellator vet from the card leaving Brock to step in on short notice. After three rounds of back-and-forth struggling Brock took the split decision to stand 17-8 while Croom falls to 14-5. Brock will next face Birchak for the vacant title, no word is available on when.
MFC 40 results:
- Michael Hay def. Justin Lavertu 3:27 R1 by triangle choke
- Levon Kinley def. Cody Moorman 4:26 R1 by guillotine choke
- Corey Gower def. Jon Barnard by split decision
- Shane Campbell def. Jerrid Burke 0:43 R2 by TKO
- Jesse Brock def. Kevin Croom by split decision
- Victor Valmaki def. Bill Wilder 3:36 R1 by rear-naked choke
- Marcus Edwards def. Aaron Gallant 4:51 R1 by rear-naked choke
- LW title: Tom Gallicchio def. Kurt Southern 4:11 R1 by rear-naked choke
- MW title: Sam Alvey def. Wes Swofford 1:02 R4 by KO