Alvey defends MW title, Gallicchio earns vacant LW title at MFC 40
Sam Alvey defended the Maximum Fighting Championship middleweight title against Wes Swofford while Tom Gallicchio claimed the vacant lightweight title with a defeat of Kurt Southern Friday night. MFC 40 took place May 9th at the Shaw Conference Centre in Edmonton, Alberta with a main card broadcast live on AXS TV.
Both Alvey and Swofford came out strong in the first round trading blows with both fighters scoring early knockdowns. Rounds 2 and 3 were more cautious for both fighters while the 4th saw Alvey land a hook behind the ear for another knockdown of Swofford. Surprisingly the referee stepped in as soon as Swofford hit the canvas, waving off the fight ruled a KO despite Swofford seemingly able to recover and defend. Alvey’s record now stands at 22-5 with three wins in a row while Swofford drops to 9-5.
Interestingly Alvey’s next fight is only three weeks away and it isn’t in MFC. On May 31st Alvey faces Gerald Meerschaert at NAFC in Milwaukee.
In the co-main event of this show Tom Gallicchio won a rematch against Kurt Southern for the vacant lightweight title. Just like the first fight Gallicchio took Southern down and applied a rear-naked choke with the difference being this time it happened in the first instead of second round. Gallicchio is now 19-8 with three wins in a row, Southern 13-6 with two losses in a row.
Also on this card Jesse Brock earned a shot at the vacant bantamweight title with a defeat of Kevin Croom. Originally Croom was scheduled to fight Anthony Birchak for the title itself but a training injury force the Bellator vet from the card leaving Brock to step in on short notice. After three rounds of back-and-forth struggling Brock took the split decision to stand 17-8 while Croom falls to 14-5. Brock will next face Birchak for the vacant title, no word is available on when.
MFC 40 results:
- Michael Hay def. Justin Lavertu 3:27 R1 by triangle choke
- Levon Kinley def. Cody Moorman 4:26 R1 by guillotine choke
- Corey Gower def. Jon Barnard by split decision
- Shane Campbell def. Jerrid Burke 0:43 R2 by TKO
- Jesse Brock def. Kevin Croom by split decision
- Victor Valmaki def. Bill Wilder 3:36 R1 by rear-naked choke
- Marcus Edwards def. Aaron Gallant 4:51 R1 by rear-naked choke
- LW title: Tom Gallicchio def. Kurt Southern 4:11 R1 by rear-naked choke
- MW title: Sam Alvey def. Wes Swofford 1:02 R4 by KO